January 6, 2014
Now hiring: Marketing/Editorial Associate
Broken Pencil, an independently published magazine about zine culture and the independent arts, is currently hiring a Marketing/Editorial Associate. This is an ongoing, part-time position based out of our downtown Toronto office.
Broken Pencil covers independent art and media including zines, comics, books, video, music and web projects.
Skills the position requires include:
– A high level of organization
– Ability to perform a wide array of magazine publishing related tasks
– Ability to manage multi-platform social media and blog network (knowledge of WordPress an asset)
– Excellent planning, editing and fact checking abilities
– Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines
– Ability to cultivate contacts with minimal oversight
– Updating social media with relevant content (Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr etc.)
– Generating daily content for BP blog including short features and columns
– Generating the BP monthly e-newsletter
– Updating The Nub: Indie Arts Hub App
– Editing parts of the print magazine
– Organizing outreach and special events, including a key role in assisting with our annual festival Canzine.
Ideal candidate will have:
– Proven skills as a writer/editor
– Knowledge of and passion for independent/alternative culture.
– Knowledge of and passion for North American small press publishing.
– A background in journalism/skills in journalistic writing, editing and copy editing.
In addition to your resume and cover letter, interested candidates should send 2 relevant story ideas for articles that could appear in Broken Pencil Magazine, and 3 writing samples to Lindsay Gibb at [email protected] using the subject line “Marketing/Editorial Associate position.”
Deadline to apply: January 23rd.
Regretfully, we cannot answer queries about the status of your application. All candidates who are invited for an interview will be notified within 2-3 weeks.