Here’s what you need to know to enter:
To enter this contest Download Broken Pencil App The Nub: Indie Arts Hub (it’s free!)
You can download it from the Apple Store or Google Play. Just search for The Nub. Once you have downloaded it, click on the Nub Contest banner in the app. That link will take you to the entry form. There is no entry fee.
Theme: Anything Underworld (dig in to the sewers, bomb shelters, basements and your deepest hells!)
Deadline: November 20th, 2014
Chose Your Category: There are two categories you can enter under. You can enter as a University Student (Undergraduate or Graduate) or as a General Writer. Each category will have its own winner. You cannot enter in both categories.
Prizes: Each grand prize winner will get the following
– $400 cash
– publication on The Nub: Indie Arts Hub
– $200 Broken Pencil Prize Pack including a subscription to BP, Can’tLit: Fearless Fiction from Broken Pencil, the Broken Pencil Fiction anthologystickers, t-shirts, buttons and more!
– The Program a novel by BP founder Hal Niedzviecki
– Plus surprise weirdness!
note: The top 5 stories in each category will also be published on The Nub: Indie Arts Hub app.
Rules and Regulations:
1. All entrants must download “The Nub” app to enter the contest.
2. After the stories are received, the top 5 entries will be published on the NUB in December before the final 2 winning stories are announced and published.
3. Contest is open to original unpublished work of up to 2,500 words.
4. Only 1 entry per person is allowed
5. The Broken Pencil fiction team will select the top 5 entries and the finalists.
6. There is no entry fee.
7. All writers whose stories make the Top 5 and the finalists must agree to have their submissions posted on the Broken Pencil App “The NUB”.
8. All writers whose stories make the Top 5 and the finalists must agree that their work may be printed in the magazine at a later date, posted on the website indefinitely without further compensation, and/or reprinted in physical or electronic format in a Broken Pencil anthology and licensed by Broken Pencil to 3rd party databases without additional permissions or compensation required.
9. By entering the contest, entrants agree to have their names added to the Broken Pencil electronic newsletter mailing list. Entrants can remove their names from the mailing list at any time.
10. Only winners and runners-up will be informed of contest results.
About The Nub: Indie Arts Hub
The NUB: Indie Arts Hub is an App compatible with iPhone/iPad and Android that provides a stream of independent Arts and Culture content from across North America directly to readers 5 times per week. Think of it as a a mini-digest of diverse content from participating independent arts and culture magazines.
Each day, you will find in your phone a new column, poem, short story, interview, profile, book/zine review, comic or rant from one of five of North America’s best independent arts and culture magazines.
The Nub features content from Broken Pencil: The Magazine of Zine Culture and the Independent Arts; Geist Magazine; Subterrain Magazine; Matrix Magazine; 49thShelf.com and Taddle Creek Magazine.