Everything you need to know to participate in Online Canzine
Setting up your online store
You must have completed your profile and added all your products by April 26! You will not be able to edit or add products after this date.
Click on the link that was emailed to you to get started. Follow the steps below to set up your seller profile and shop.
- Click on the link and click “Not a seller? Join now.”
- Create your account using the email address you registered for Canzine with. Once your account is created, log in.
- Once logged in, you’ll be able to see your dashboard, which will keep track of your sales.
Setting up your profile
- To set up your store, you first need to complete your profile. From the menu, go to “Profile” and then “My Account.”
- Fill out your profile with information so people who visit Canzine know who you are.
- You must upload 3 images for your profile, all in the correct size.
* Banner Image – 1200 x 980 pixels
* Vendor Logo – 479 x 479 pixels
* Profile Picture – 479 x 479 pixels
- Once your account info is up to date, you’ll need to set your payment method so you can receive your payout when Canzine is finished.
- To do this, from the main menu, go to “Profile” and then “Payment Details.”
- You can select either Paypal or Internet banking. From there, fill out your details. *if you’re Canadian and selected internet banking, just a heads up that “Sort Code/IFSC Code” means your transit number.
- Now you can start adding products. To do this, select “Products” from the main menu and then “Product Listing.” At the top of that page, click the button that says “Add Product.”
- Here, you’ll fill out all the information the buyer needs to know about your items and what Broken Pencil needs to know to ship your items.
Adding physical items
Please note that when it says “Choose Product” and then gives the option for “Normal or Digital,” normal products refer to a physical product that will require shipping, whereas digital products are non-physical items that a buyer can download right away.
12. From there, fill out the rest of your product info. You can add tags to help customers search for items. We recommend using the tags we’ve created but you can add your own if needed.
13. When adding the price of your item, please note that all items are sold in CAD. Adjust your prices accordingly.
14. Don’t forget to add images for your item! please make sure to use square images! Note – up to 10 images are allowed per product. We recommend uploading a cover and then at least two other photos showcasing what is inside. You have limited editing ability once you upload, but you can reorder the images and crop the images into squares after you have uploaded.
15. Repeat steps 11-16 to add additional products.
Adding digital items
16. Now you can start adding products. To do this, select “Products” from the main menu and then “Product Listing.” At the top of that page, click the button that says “Add Product.”
17. Please note that when it says “Choose Product” and then gives the option for “Normal or Digital,” normal products refer to a physical product that will require shipping, whereas digital products are non-physical items that a buyer can download immediately.
18. If your item is digital, select “Digital Product.
19. Fill out the product info.
20. Don’t forget to add images for your item! Please make sure to use square images!
Note – up to 10 images are allowed per product. We recommend uploading a cover and then at least two other photos showcasing what is inside. You have limited editing ability once you upload, but you can reorder the images and crop the images into squares after you have uploaded.
21. When you get to the section “Digital Product Details”, this is where you’ll add your item so that buyers can access it. You can add your digital product as a file or link. Select one from the drop-down menu. Note – your file must be ready to go before you add it as a product. You cannot add a digital product without the final digital file.
22. Click on “Upload File” to add your product. Please note that file size cannot exceed 100 MB.
23. Under “Number of Downloads” input the number of times your product can be downloaded by the customer. If left at 0, the download limit will be unlimited.
24. Repeat steps 17 – 24 to add additional products.
Remember that you can sell up to 3 physical items and unlimited digital items. If you add more than 3 physical items, you’ll be contacted by Canzine staff to remove the extras.
Note – DO NOT click on or attempt to change any other settings, such as Configuration. All this is set by Canzine.
Once you’ve added all your products, you’re done! All that’s left to do is to hype up Canzine on your social media and get ready to shop around at the other stores! We’ll be emailing you some graphics you can share on your social media platforms.
If you have questions, contact [email protected]
How does shipping work? Do I need to send my products to the people who buy them?
Broken Pencil will manage all of the shipping of products to the buyers, you just need to send it to us! Once Online Canzine ends, we’ll contact you to let you know how many of each product were sold. You’ll then need to package it up and send it to the Broken Pencil headquarters.
Remember that if you are selling bundles, you must create them yourself and send them to us packaged together.
Please make sure to send your items in a timely manner, but don’t ship them until we’ve told you how many copies to send!
You’ll send your items to
Broken Pencil, PO Box #203, Station P, Toronto, ON, M5S 2S7 Canada.
Broken Pencil c/o Gutter Pop Comics
1421 Hertel Ave
Buffalo, NY 14216
Does Broken Pencil take a commission fee from my sales?
Yes, we take $0.50 from each item sold. This helps cover the costs of running the festival and shipping.
What currency are prices displayed in?
All prices are in Canadian dollars (CAD). When you enter your prices, make sure to convert them to CAD first.
Will Broken Pencil review my zines?
If you’d like to, you can send an extra 1-2 copies of your zines when you send over your products. This doesn’t guarantee you’ll be reviewed, but we will look through all the submissions!
How should I price my items?
Everyone prices their work differently, depending on time, materials, etc. Make sure to also factor in what it will cost you to ship the item to Broken Pencil!
Can I use a “pay what you can” model when selling things?
Unfortunately, the platform we’re using is not able to accommodate a “pay what you can” model. You’ll need to give your items a specific price.
Can I give items away for free?
Yes! If you have digital items that do not require shipping, you can give them out for free if you want.
If your item is physical and needs to be shipped, the buyer will still need to pay for shipping.