image by Mariel Kelly
Broken Pencil: The Magazine of Zine Culture and the Independent Arts is now seeking applications for the position of
Assistant Editor and Membership Coordinator
Broken Pencil, an independently published magazine, website, and cultural organization dedicated to promoting and celebrating zine culture and the independent printed arts, is currently hiring an Assistant Editor and Membership Coordinator.
This is an ongoing, part-time (two days a week), paid position based out of our downtown Toronto office.
Skills the position requires include:
– A high level of organization
– Ability to perform a wide array of magazine publishing related tasks
– Ability to manage multi-platform social media and blog network (knowledge of WordPress an asset)
– Excellent planning, editing and fact checking abilities
– Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines
– Ability to perform tasks with minimal oversight
– Basic HTML and Photoshop/design experience
– Updating social media with relevant content (Twitter, Facebook, Instagram etc.)
– Generating weekly content for BP.com including short features and reviews.
– Generating the BP weekly e-newsletter.
– Updating The Nub: Indie Arts Hub App.
– Editing sections of the print magazine including the books section.
– Coordinating member (subscriber) outreach including monthly members-only special content and annual member events.
Ideal candidate will have:
– Proven skills as a writer/editor
– Knowledge of and passion for independent/alternative culture.
– Knowledge of and passion for North American small press publishing, zine culture and self-publishing.
– Knowledge of and passion for North American small press publishing.
In addition to your resume and cover letter, interested candidates should send 2 relevant story ideas for articles that could appear in Broken Pencil Magazine, and 3 writing samples to Hal Niedzviecki at firstname.lastname@example.org using the subject line “Assistant Editor position.”
Regretfully, due to the volume of resumes we receive, we cannot answer queries about the status of your application. All candidates who are invited for an interview will be notified within 2-3 weeks.