How to Submit Zines & Books for Review in Broken Pencil
Broken Pencil accepts zines, books, comics, videos/films, mail-art and other cool stuff for review. There are no deadlines for submitting review material to Broken Pencil. We do not accept fiction submissions through the mail or email. See below for fiction guidelines.
Mail us your zine to review! To submit through Canada Post, mail your work to us at Broken Pencil, PO Box 203, Station P, Toronto, ON, M5S 2S7 Canada. Or, for international submiissions use our US address: Broken Pencil, PO Box #177, Sanborn, NY 14132 USA. We get this mail every 6-8 weeks.
- NOTE: If using a courier such as UPS or FedEX, send to c/o #177 — 2901 Niagara St., Sanborn, NY 14132 USA
If you are mailing us something to review, please include on a separate piece of paper the following information: name of publication, name of the creator, name of the distro/publisher (if applicable), page number, price, and your primary contact info: website, social media, mailing address or email.
- We aim to feature a diversity of publications and to show the broadest range of DIY publishing we can.
- We often include excerpts from zines we review. Please let us know if you’d rather we don’t.
- We look forward to seeing your work, but keep in mind that Broken Pencil can not review every publication.
- We can’t really review material that does not have contact information.
- Unless requested against, we will add you to our e-newsletter list. It has calls for submissions, coupons, zinester news, reviews and opportunities. Let us know if you’d rather we do not.
- Please only send us zines you’ve made within the past year or so.
- Send any questions regarding zine reviews to Jonathan, [email protected]
- Send any questions regarding book reviews to Anisa, [email protected]
Submission Guidelines for Writers and Illustrators
To submit ideas to Broken Pencil or introduce yourself, email [email protected], or write to us at PO Box 203, Stn P, Toronto, ON, M5S 2S7 Canada. Don’t submit anything until you have read at least one issue of the magazine. You can also find Broken Pencil in stores across North America, and, in some cases, you can find it at your local library.
Fiction: Original never before published fiction up to 3000 words. Broken Pencil reads fiction submissions between March 1st and September 15th. Please submit fiction only through Submittable, not by snail-mail.
Selling Broken Pencil Magazine
If you are a store or distributor however small or large interested in carrying Broken Pencil email [email protected] and we’ll set you up!
Change of Address
If you have a subscription to Broken Pencil and would like to change your address, please email [email protected].